The Yamaha SY35 is a bit unique in that it is a Vector Synthesis system, combining FM and AWM sample playback voices to create sounds suitable for virtually all kinds of music. It features significantly expanded memory capabilities over the SY22. It has an extremely large database of over 128 AWM sampled sounds (you cannot add more) and around 256 FM waves. Waves and samples are combined and edited with a roller/joystick (the vector wheel). At a time when Yamaha was making the switch from FM synthesis, which ruled their synths of the eighties, to AWM and AWM2 synthesis in the nineties, the SY35 represents a model that was on the cusp, having one foot (or pair of oscillators actually) in each world.
Programming is an extremely tedious affair, as all values are modified via the "-1" and "+1" buttons. But the SY35's sounds are extremely good, providing high-quality sounds such as those found on the Alpha Juno 2, and the DX7. The synth also features an 8-part multi-mode, for easy multitimbral setups. Ultimately, while an extremely difficult synth to program, the SY35 offers a huge amount of capability for a relatively low price tag. Use this synth for epic pads, deep basses, screaming leads, and raging hoovers.
Check Yamaha SY35 Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Yamaha SY35? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 16 voices, 8-Part Multitimbrality
- Oscillators - 2 FM Operators & 2 (AWM) Digital Acoustic Sample playback oscillators.
- LFO - 4 LFOs
- Filter - None
- VCA - 4 Volume-Only Envelops
- Sequencer - None
- Effects - 16 Digital Effects (Delay, Reverb, Reverb/Dist. Combo, etc.)
- Keyboard - 61 keys (w/ velocity and aftertouch)
- Memory - 64 preset and 68 user patches, 16 Performances
- Control - MIDI In/Out/Thu
- Date Produced - 1992
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Reviewed December 2007.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.