Yamaha W5 / W7
The Yamaha W5 and W7 synths are powerful workstations utilizing Yamaha's own AWM2 tone generation, coupled with an excellent GM set and a powerful set of onboard features including a 16-track fully featured sequencer. The W5 model is only slightly different from the W7 in that it has a full 76-note semi-weighted keyboard and the W7 has a typical 61-note keyboard, both of which respond to initial-touch (velocity) and aftertouch.
The AWM2 tone generation system provides 8 MB of wave memory with 384 realistic voices to choose from. Each voice is composed of 4 elements for added realism and depth. Editing is made simple with Voice Templates - choose from preset amplitude types (39), filter settings (59), pitch envelope settings (40) and LFO settings (33) to quickly punch up and edit various voice parameters. This eliminates the need to get deep into tedious editing of your sounds from scratch, but the option to get deep into editing is also there. A large backlit LCD display facilitates easy visual programming. There's also a double dial which allows for quick access parameter tweaking.
Also onboard are studio quality DSP effects. They can be assigned to individual voices or they can be used as a global effect over the whole system. There are 3 Insertion Effects and 3 System Effects available. With a ton of tried and true effects processors to its name, you can expect these Yamaha effects to be of superb quality and there are enough processors in the W5 / W7 to provide you with all the sweetening you need!
A powerful sequencer is onboard to provide you with the creative flexibility to create entire songs and performances right from the synth itself, with no need for any other gear! The sequencer has a 100,000 note capacity. It is a 16-track sequencer and its memory can hold up to 16 different songs. There is only 32 notes of polyphony, but it should be enough for most arrangements and performances. Sequences, voices and songs can be stored to an external disk and as standard MIDI files for archiving. Yamaha released a "Version 2" upgrade for all models made before 1996 which added more voice banks (P2 and P3). The W-series has since been replaced by Yamaha's new EX5 and EX7 synthesizer workstations.
Lookup Yamaha W5 / W7 Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Yamaha W5 / W7? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 32 notes
- Oscillators - Systems AWM2, 8 MB preset wave memory
- LFO - Yes
- Sequencer - 16 Songs, 16 Tracks, SMF Formats, Real and Step time Recording, 96 Clocks per Quarter Note, 100,000 Notes capacity
- Effects - 3 Insertion and 3 System Effects
- Keyboard - 61 Keys (W7) / 76 Keys (W5) with Initial Touch and After Touch
- Memory - 128 GM voices + 8 drum kits, 128 Preset (AWM2) voices + 2 drumkits, 128 User voices + 2 drum kits; External Memory 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive; Optional Expansion Wave/Voice Board (4 MB of Waves and Voices on ROM)
- Control - MIDI (16-parts)
- Date Produced - 1994 - 1998
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Thomas R Kolb.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.