A wolf in sheep's clothing, the CZ-230S uses exactly the same synthesizer technology as the CZ-101, mini keys included. But a few things give it more of a 'home' keyboard type image; firstly it had a built-in speaker; secondly it had 99 preset sounds with no way of editing them (only four of the sounds in the sound bank could be programmed by linking the synthesizer to a computer via its MIDI port).
However it had a built-in programmable drum machine (from the Casio RZ-1) and sequencer (step and realtime) which almost made it a workstation before its time. Midi in/out/thru was undoubtedly a first for a 'home' keyboard. Used by Vince Clarke of Erasure on the album 'Wonderland'.
Lookup Casio CZ-230S Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Casio CZ-230S? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 8 note
- Oscillators - 2 DCO using Digital Phase Distortion Synthesis
- #Instruments - 4 part multitimbral
- Keyboard - 49 note mini keyboard (no Velocity or Aftertouch)
- Memory - 100 presets
- Control - MIDI In/Out/Thru
- Date Produced - 1986
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Synrise.de.
Info provided by Nicholas Varley.
Reviewed November 2007.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.