The SynthaSystem was produced by Steiner-Parker in the 1970's. It is a compact, expandable modular analog synthesizer system that didn't quite compete on the same level as the EML, Moog, ARP and EMS systems of the same time. But it deserves some attention. It's great for creating sound effects including thunder, wind, surf, race cars, sirens, horns, explosions, jet airplanes, "tunnel" sound processing, and many, many more. But when it comes to reproducing natural acoustic sounds...well, good luck. It claims to simulate piano, organ, trumpet, accordion, violin, oboe, drums, guitar and many more but most are pretty questionable.
But as an analog processor and sound design machine, the SynthaSystem shines. With up to 74 knobs and switches (or more) and its expandable modular design you can create some wacky noises! It can also be used to process existing sounds via an external audio input! Very cool for filtering stuff! The SynthaSystem may be uncommon but it can be an affordable alternative to similar synths.
Check Steiner-Parker SynthaSystem Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Steiner-Parker SynthaSystem? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Demos & Media
- Polyphony - Monophonic/Duophonic (the keyboard is capable of outputting two control voltages at a time out two seperate outs)
- Oscillators - 3 VCOS plus a White and Pink Noise generator
- Effects - LFO, Dual Sample and Hold, Portemento, VC Phasor, Ring Modulator, Frequency Divider
- Filter - One 2-pole resonant low/band/highpass VCF
- VCA - One VCA with Two envelope generators with attack, sustain, decay plus a third one with Attack, on-time and decay.
- Keyboard - 48 keys (on optional keyboard controller) plus a 3 bank, 8-step sequencer.
- Memory - None
- Control - CV / Gate / VC Filter-In; 6 pin plug on back panel ( 6=unused, 5=trigger from key, 4=keyboard control voltage, 3=10-volt-dc, 2=ground, 1=+12voltdc)
- Date Produced - 1975-79
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Thanks to Peter Grenader of Buzzclick and Arlo West for providing information.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.