The XP-30 is a 64-voice Expandable Synthesizer that offered all of the great sounds of the XP and JV series at a more affordable price tag than previous XP-synths. Roland's XP-80 was a flagship workstation in its time, but by reducing the keyboard down to a standard 61 key (with velocity and aftertouch), elimination of the on-board sequencer, and fewer expansion card slots, the XP-30 was able to offer the XP-experience at a price within reach of serious musicians at any level.
The XP-30 does retain the XP-series synthesis architecture and all the world-renowned sound sets of the acclaimed XP-80 workstation, plus all the waveforms from the "Session", "Orchestral", and "Techno" expansion cards. It adds, however, a boat-load more patch storage than its more famous predecessors: there are 1,406 patches and 28 drum kits. Fortunately there is a Patch Finder and Phrase Preview for quick navigation and sound selection. Besides the two expansion slots for installing the SR-JV80-Series expansion boards, a SmartMedia card slot provides additional storage capability. Plenty of controls and four assignable Sound Palette sliders let you get deep into editing and programming its sounds.
Lookup Roland XP-30 Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Roland XP-30? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 64 Voices
- Oscillators - 4 per voice ( 4 x 64 voices), 32 bit custom RISC chips for Digital Acoustic simulation; 512 on-board waveforms (plus up to two 8MB SRJV80 series expansion boards)
- LFO - 2 MIDI syncable LFOs
- Filter - TVF (lowpass, bandpass, high pass) with cutoff, resonance, key follow and velocity sensitivity
- Effects - Reverb, Chorus and 40 multi-EFX
- Memory - 1,406 patches, including all sounds from the "Session", "Orchestral" and "Techno" wave expansion boards, 28 Rhythm kits.
- Keyboard - 61 keys with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity
- Arpeg/Seq - Advanced Arpeggiator capabilities derived from the XP-60/80
- Control - MIDI In/Out/Thru (16-parts)
- Date Produced - 1999-2002
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Roland U.S.
Reviewed December 2007.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.